The World of Strawberry Bread

>> Thursday, May 7, 2009


The other day on twitter @familyeducation posted a link to a strawberry bread recipe on their blog. As soon as I read it, I knew I wanted to make it. Since I had 3lbs of strawberries in the fridge, I decided today would be the day. The recipe was very simple to put together and it didn't create a huge mess in the kitchen when preparing it, so it definitely gets bonus points in my book. I made a double batch of the batter and the only thing I changed was using 4 whole eggs rather than 8 egg whites. If I would have had egg whites in the carton I would have just used that. I really didn't want to separate all those eggs and then have to find something to do with all the yolks too. The resulting batter was really thick, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. It turned out just fine. I will be making this again as strawberry season gets into full swing here.

Strawberry Bread

1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour (or you can use all purpose flour)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 egg whites (I used 2 whole eggs)
¼ cup applesauce
¾ cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of diced fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl mix the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites and add the applesauce, milk and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, mixing only to incorporate. Add the strawberries and mix just a few times, to ensure good distribution throughout the batter.

Grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Add the batter. If desired, top the batter with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Click to save & print recipe card


Hope you enjoy this as much as we are, and thanks Family Education for a great recipe.

Post a Comment

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogroll

simple mom Organizing JunkiePaisley&PrettiesbabyREAD - The BlogNo Time For Flash CardsFeels like home

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP