Finding My Peace

>> Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Stress is caused by being 'here' but wanting to be ' there'" - Eckhart Tolle

Life is changing. Minute by minute, hour by hour, everything is changing.  It's easy to get caught up in the expectations and worrying about what is going to happen next. What's important is to just go with the flow. Ride life's waves and just be. Feel the feelings. Believe me; I know it's easier said than done. That's our human nature.  For years I've stressed and worried about anything and sometimes even things that weren't happening but they might. Those feelings don't feel good. My stomach gets in knots, I feel like I can't breathe, my heart is racing, and before I know it I have found myself in the kitchen looking for a way to swallow my feelings.  It's difficult to sit and just feel the feelings. Even now I'm not very good at it, but I'm working on it. Today in my life things are changing. Change is scary, it's unknown.  I fear the unknown. Not knowing how things will turn out, not knowing if the bills will be paid, there are lots of unknowns and that is scary.

So what can we do when we feel as though things are spiralling out of control? Here are a few things that work for me:

  • I like to validate my feelings to myself.  I can do this by writing in my journal. In the book Weight Release a Liberating Journey by Freeman Michaels; he talks about upset needing a place to land. I've found for myself if I don't address the reasons (the truths) for my emotions I tend to dump them on whoever is nearby. What happens when I get to the truth of my feelings (which 9 times out of 10 is fear of something), is I don't feel so out of control. I'm able to acknowledge the feelings and say to myself, okay you are scared what do you need?
  • I also like to take a few deep cleansing breaths. This can give me the time I need to figure out the next step I want to do to address my feelings.
  • I also have recently learned to meditate.  I love this! I try to do this daily even if I'm not experiencing stress, but during times of stress it is especially helpful. It really helps me feel centered, calm and at peace. 

These are three things I know I can do anytime, anywhere; even if I have a house full of kids.  If I am able to squeeze some alone time; taking a walk (no earphones!) and listening to nature around me can help me - it gives me a chance to work through thoughts and take some good fresh air breaths.  Also taking a hot bath can help me de-stress too; especially if I meditate then.

What are some practices that you use to find your peace in times of heightened emotions?
☮peace.love.joy

Post a Comment

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogroll

simple mom Organizing JunkiePaisley&PrettiesbabyREAD - The BlogNo Time For Flash CardsFeels like home

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP