Blog "Spring Cleaning" - Day Four

>> Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 4: Analyze a top blog in your niche

This assignment was both difficult and eye-opening.  When I first read the assignment Marianna (riding with no hands) gave us today I wasn't sure that I could do it.  It took a couple of reads and clicking over to ProBlogger before I had my ah-ha moment. Before today I really didn't even know what my niche was. I mean is there a niche for a mish mash of stuff on a blog? Turns out there is - pretty amazing isn't it? I think I most closely identify with the lifestyle bloggers - which according to Mariana's post is saturated - That means a lot of people are blogging in a similar manner as I do and they are doing well at it!  Once I figured that out it was a big light bulb moment - even more that what I learned on day 1.

Once I figured that out I could get to work on the homework:
  • Take 15 minutes to analyze a top blog in your niche - The blog I decided to analyze was Feels Like Home.  I picked her blog because she blogs about crafting, recipes, homemaking, and even personal stuff (all the things I like to blog about) and she does it well. Her stats show that! I used Alexa.com and Compete.com to analyze her site and well, it was hard to even compare since my site doesn't even show up on either one of those sites.  So obviously the biggest difference is in traffic.  Her site is well organized and easy to navigate even though there is a lot of information. Another big difference is in the frequency of posts.  She posts nearly every day if not every day - sometimes more than once a day! I'm not sure how she manages to do it all. Tara if you're reading this - please be my mentor :)  Maybe the more you post the faster you get at it?
  • Take 15 minutes to analyze your blog - Okay this really didn't even take me 15 minutes ;) I kid - sorta.  I looked at my stats and I can see when I participate in memes I generate a lot of traffic. How much of that traffic becomes a regular reader? I have no idea.  Even on my high traffic days I don't generate many comments. How do I engage you more?   Also of course my numbers are better when I blog on a regular basis - seems you folks like reading even if you don't comment. ;)  So I'm going to make a concentrated effort to try to blog more frequently.  I know life gets in the way but other bloggers do this so it must be attainable right?  
Even though this post talked a lot about numbers that really isn't why I blog.  I enjoy blogging, so I really blog for myself and hope you are enjoying it.  Is there something more you would like to see here? Something you would like to see me blog about more often?  

6 comments:

Cathy March 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Wow, what great insight! So much to learn....and now, I have to catch up to you!!

Amy Brown March 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

I enjoy your crafts! I think you should do a spring craft soon =) One of these days I'm going to stop being lazy and try a craft too.

I'd also like to see you blog about attachment parenting :)

Krista March 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

Take your time Cathy :) Yesterday I played toys and blogged off and on all day - that's the only reason I was able to get to day four. House is a mess but E and I had fun!


Amy - Thank you for your suggestions. Putting spring crafting on my list (think I have an idea or 2). Also will see what I can come up with for an AP post very soon.

Tara @ Feels Like Home March 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

I know we talked about this on Twitter recently. I'd be happy to mentor you. :)

Cathy asked me on Twitter today if I'd seen it, and I thought I should stop back and offer more officially.

Krista March 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

Oh Tara! Thank you so much for the offer. I really do admire you and all you do - not just your blog. You are amazing. I hope I can learn some things from you. :)

Mariana March 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

What a great job you did with this task! I can tell you really thought about it carefully. I love the blog that you chose to analyze... and I agree, Tara is amazing! :)

Post a Comment

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogroll

simple mom Organizing JunkiePaisley&PrettiesbabyREAD - The BlogNo Time For Flash CardsFeels like home

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP